Why spend time, energy, and budget on Google+ (G+)? Two reasons:
- Search – Because G+ is Google, and Google is the current king of search.
- Cool tools – Google Hangouts and Hangouts on Air.
Google+ is the place to create your professional profile and showcase your knowledge and interests. First and foremost, engagement and sharing on the Google+ network improves your search engine standings. Secondly, Google tools can improve your productivity, increase your exposure, and save you money.
How to Start
Some of the basics:
- +1 – clicking the +1 button shows that you like or agree with something you see or read online.
- how to post – click the +1 box on the upper right of the Google home screen and a pop up “Share What’s New” box will come up. Enter text, pictures, whatever you want to share in the box.
- what to post – you can post text, links, photos, videos, and even your current location.
Yet whether you’re a small businesses, nonprofit organization or individual professional, just getting set up and knowing how to post or +1 on Google+ is just the beginning.
How to Use Google+ to Get Results through Search
Google continuously changes how it delivers results for searches. Keeping up with the algorithm changes, even the names (Penguin, Panda, and lesser known Pigeon and Pirate, etc.) is a challenge. Suffice it to say that Google works hard to deliver the best results for a given search.
The trend today is that search is social. This means that who you are connected to online influences the search results Google delivers to you. Google tries to automatically deliver personalized results based on your network. That is why your search results for a given topic and my results for the same search will be different.
The more people you are connected to in Google’s sphere (think G+ connections), and the more you post and share publicly in G+, the greater your visibility in Google and in Google’s search results.
Strategic Action: Be active on Google+ by building your network (adding connections), +1-ing content, and publicly sharing content.
How to Use Google+ to Get Results using Hangouts
Hangouts are video and text based chats. Hangouts on Air allow you to broadcast for free.
- Hangouts allow for free video and text conversations where you can share things like photos and emoji. They even allow group video calls for free.
- With Hangouts on Air, you can broadcast live discussions and performances to the world (or to a private group that you select) through your Google+ Home page and YouTube channel. Click here to learn how to get started.
Strategic Action: Try these tools for your next collaborative effort. Make sure that each person has a Google presence (G+ or a Gmail account) before initiating – it makes it much easier.
Google+ Strategy Tip
Sharing your latest blog post and engaging with other bloggers (a key demographic on G+) will increase the reach and visibility of your message and brand. It’s also a place where you can meet and connect with a new group of people (expand your network respectfully). Read more about Google+, Google+ trends, and look at some specific strategies shared by Peg Fitzpatrick.